A : How come you left the meeting early?
B : Well, I found the discussion ______________ .
(a) bore (b) bored (c) being bored (d) boring
A : Joseph is not in today. Would I be able to take a message?
B : Sure. This is Philip Miller, Could you _______ me back, please?
(a) have him called (b) have his call (c) have him call (d) have his calling
A : Jason, why didn't you turn around when I called you?
B : Sorry, _______________
(a) I didn't hear my name called.
(b) I didn't hear anyone to call my name.
(c) I didn't heard you called my name.
(d) My name wasn't heard calling.
A : Look at your car! It looks nice! Did you wash the car yourself?
B : No, I got John ____________ it.
(a) do (b) to do (c) wash (d) washed
A: Sue, did you go back home safely last night?
B: Sure, I _____________ a friend of mine to drive.
(a) made (b) had (c) let (d) got
A: I thought you were having car trouble.
B: Yes, but I ______________yesterday.
(a) had it fix (b) had it fixed(c) had it mine (d) had fixing it
A : Did Jane explain ___________ ?
B : Yes. She was generous enough to show her own works.
(a) you the class of drawing (b) the drawing class of you
(c) you the drawing class (d) the drawing class to you
Part II. Choose the best answer for the blank.
8. William's dissertation on the trip's accomplishments, remarkable for its detail and humor, ____________ in our December issue.
(a) was appeared (b) is appeared (c) are appeared (d) appeared
9. The tablet that I took last night worked really well and my headache_______________.
(a) soon disappeared (b) was soon disappeared
(c) was disappearing soon (d) was soon being disappeared
10. I had an interesting idea this morning and I want to discuss _______.
(a) about it with you (b) with you about it (c) it with you (d) it to you
11. I always keep my cell phone _______________ off during the lecture.
(a) turn (b) turned (c) turning(d) to turn
Part III. Identify the option that contains an awkward expression or an error in grammar.
(a) A: Hello, you've reached to the German language institute.
(b) B: Hi, I'm calling to find out how to apply for your German language program.
(c) A: We just need an application form and the registration fee.
(d) B: Actually I would like to find out about dormitory as well.
(a) A : Daisy, have you ever broken your legs?
(b) B : Yup, when I was ten years old.
(c) A : How was it feeling?
(d) B : It surely was very painful.
(a) A : What's up? How was your day?
(b) B : Jesus! you were frightened me!
(c) A : Well, didn't you hear me come in the front door?
(d) B : No, I assumed you were working late today.
15. (a) It is generally acknowledged that people in many countries define culture differently. (b) Some people believe that culture is consisted of the ideas and customs that dominated by a single person or group. (c) On the other hand, others describe a culture as a particular society or civilization. (d) Still others believe that culture is the intellectual and artistic aspects of a society.